[SML] Protecting IP when working full time.

Paul Marsland pmarsland at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 00:14:19 UTC 2015

Transfer all of your existing, tangible, copywrightable work to your
business or a shell company. Grant your new employer license to use those
materials at no charge for the duration of your employment.

All work you create that you want to retain is done off-site on your own
equipment with your own resources as an employee of your business.

Work you are willing to leave behind, you do at the office as an employee
of their business.

On Monday, November 23, 2015, Scott C. Parker via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Question: How to respond to the "everything you do here belongs to us"
> clause in the contract for prior experience and work? This is in
> regards to teaching others how to use VectorWorks.
>
> I am about to accept a job offer and one of the items in the employee
> manual states that all work done whilst employed is considered "work
> for hire" and that the company owns it. Yes, I understand how that
> works and I'm fine with it. It's not creating artistic lighting
> designs for stage shows as we know it.
>
> One job item is to teach VectorWorks. A major reason I am attractive
> to this company is my background in teaching VW as both a freelancer
> and a university professor. Over the years, I have written many lesson
> plans, learning materials, etc. and I've also been working on a
> textbook. (who hasn't?)
>
> The company will want me to create learning materials etc. for the
> training I do for the company. These will be based on my past
> experience, etc. How do I pose the concept that my training materials
> should be exempt from the work for hire clause. Obviously, handouts I
> create for these fellow staff members will belong to them and the
> company. But, a year down the road when I make a handout for someone
> else, I don't want to get nailed for taking the "work for hire." (How
> many different ways can one say, click here and drag?)
>
> By the way, the company uses VW as part of their process to provide a
> service to their clients that have nothing to do with VW itself.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott
>
> Scott C. Parker
> Lighting Designer http://scpld.com/ Studio 212-533-3430  Cell 718-757-6661
> http://twitter.com/stageseminars
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/lightingdesigner
> USA829, IES, PLASA, USITT, ETCP certified Rigger & Electrician

Paul Marsland
+1 919-239-0551