[SML] turning off light boards

Richard John Archer rja10 at cornell.edu
Wed Nov 25 15:21:38 UTC 2015

> Staggering to think that the original Space Shuttle simulator utilized about a half dozen super computers (for their day). each with a whopping 2MBs of core memory.

and your cell phone has more computing power than all of NASA had in 1969 to put men on the moon..

While in college, we had one IBM 360 which,  during the protests  of 1969-70, was "taken over" by the students.  That seemed to effect the admin more than closing the school with protests.

iPhone 5s runs at speeds up to 1.3GHz and can have a 1GB of RAM.

Apollo onboard guidance computer.....    .043MHz  and 64 kilobytes of memory    ......and weighed in at a hefty 70lbs......any wonder you see them using their slide rules in  the Apollo 13 movie?

DickA
TD, Cornell U.