[SML] turning off light boards

Steven Santos Steven at simplycircus.com
Fri Nov 27 06:49:46 UTC 2015

I used a PDP-11 in high school back in the early 1990's.  One of my
after school jobs at the time was assisting a friends father
installing and maintaining Digital Alpha and Sun Solaris servers, as
well as the workstations that went with them.  Had one client that had
3 PDP-11's (a 55, a 65 and a 70 IIRC), 2 racks of Sun servers (6ish)
and  and 8(!) digital alpha servers (2100 series I believe it was) and
a home-brewed box they called "big bertha" that had a ton of hard
drives in it and wired to it.  No one ever told me what these guys
did, but we spent a LOT of time making network authentication work
right.  The PDP-11's did not want to work with Sun's network
authentication.  Neither did the Windows for Workgroups (3.11)
machines want to do it.

I still remember being blown away that an office of 12 would have this
many servers running, and that each of these guys had a bleeding edge
W4W 386, a DEC term and a Solaris box (with 2 screens!) sitting on
each desk.  My whole school had 1 pdp-11 that powered 2 classrooms of
workstations, plus the school admin terminals.

Now my phone has more computing power than that whole office did.
---
Steven Santos
Director
Simply Circus, Inc.