[SML] Dumb question about DMX protocol

Mt. Angel Performing Arts Center admin at mtangelperformingarts.com
Sun Nov 29 15:55:30 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I have this wild hare of an idea about 'rolling my own' DMX receiver /
LED units for an upcoming project.

I probably should just buy the spec and go from there, but the question
I have is pretty simple and I'm sure there's an answer on the list.

 From Wikipedia, "All slots following the start code contain control
settings for slave devices. A slot's position within the packet
determines the device and function to be controlled, while its data
value specifies the control set point."

So does that mean what it appears to mean? If I assign a receiver to
slot 312 and only want to talk to receiver 312 that I have to send null
data to 0 through 311 to get there, or can the data be double byte
formatted "address;data" and I can decode it device by device as needed?

Like I said, it's probably in  the spec but it's Sunday morning and I'm
lazy. . . .

Carla

  Shouldn't there be more to a circus than the clowns?