[SML] Dumb question about DMX protocol

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Sun Nov 29 16:53:55 UTC 2015

On 11/29/2015 08:19 AM, Mt. Angel Performing Arts Center via Stagecraft
wrote:
> Thanks Paul!
>
> From that I presume that if I have devices somewhere between 0 and 312
> I also have to send them correct data or they will revert to level 0,
> so I'm sending a buffer full of valid data each frame.
>
> Or is there a standard DMX 'ignore' or 'null' value?

You might want to get a copy of the actual DMX specification.

There is no ignore or carry on or anything, if you use the standard
start code ALL slots are valid.

The specification says you can send less than 512 slots, but there's a
lot of gear that freaks out if it doesn't get all 512.

Some gear freaks out if you send DMX at max speed.

Some gear works funny if it's Tuesday.

Be sure to get the termination right.

Grounded transmitter, isolated receivers.

Only one transmitter unless you're running RDM.

tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886