[SML] Rain and lots of it

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 2 17:45:09 UTC 2015

>     On 02 October 2015 at 09:38 Richard John Archer via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>

>     We had it rain quite a bit a few years ago for Grapes of Wrath. (Spring
> 2005). Our ideas were in the USITT Tech Expo catalogue for Phoenix (2007) We
> were selected to win a prize. You could read about our "method" and see and
> equipment list in there. If not available, I might be able to find and send it
> to you. Loren was on the judging panel, he might have a copy or remember what
> I did, We built a working rain exhibit for the USITT expo.
>
>     Basically it was very low volume rain. A combination of misters and low
> flow heads with one way ball check flow valves to stop drips. This unit was a
> manual on off but could easily have been a solenoid main valve. In the same
> show we had a small pool, covered for most of the show, which served as the
> river. We used the original Brdwy production truck although modified with
> triple swivels to roll better.

Some years ago, we did "Uncle Vanya" with a guest, Russian director. For reasons
known only to her, it was set in a conservatory with a leaky roof, and in the
round.

We rigged a ring of hosepipe, fed from a very low head source, with tiny holes
in it. The rain was caught in an assortment of buckets, basins, and jars placed
all round the stage.

It worked, and we even took it to Moscow! I lit it, and I may well be the only
contributor to this list with an LD credit at the Moscow Arts Theatre.

My printer/scanner is not talking to my computer at the moment, so I cannot send
pictures.