[SML] Scrollers

gbierly gbierly at dejazzd.com
Thu Oct 8 19:30:13 UTC 2015

On Oct 4, 2015, at 5:36 PM, Andrew Vance via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Traditionally our scrollers have been for S4s, S4 Pars, and
> PAR64s, so I'd need something that could work for all of those. And
> lots of them.

Until two years ago we had 15 8" fresnels with Wybron analog scrollers (5 on each of the 3 elect) as a top back wash.  I have since switched out to 18 (6 per elec) Chauvet RGBA Slimpar Pro's and never want to go back.  They are fantastic for bold and saturated colors, they do well on subtle and pastels but unfortunately don't even come close to a good white.  I have replace the 15-8" fresnels with Parnels and S4 Pars to keep a white wash.  I have 14 ColorForce 12's lighting my cyc.  I was going to use those as my 8" Fresnel replacement because they do such a great job with white but at $1100+ compared to the Slimpar at less than $300, I got more bang for my buck this way.  Until you go for white, I see the two fixtures as almost equal.  FYI, the Slimpars have one of the widest coverage angles I have found on an hight output LED wash fixture.  Great for low trim spaces.  In addition to those, I have 12 RGBA's in our small theater and 10 "portables" for booms or set lighting.

Now as to your S4 profiles, you are probably stuck with scrollers for a while longer.  I have a set of 12 Digital Forerunners just for the S4s.  I am waiting for a demo of the ETC Colorsource profile.  I just saw a list price of $750 at 1000 lm less than the Lustre.

Good luck

Greg Bierly
Performing Arts Center Manager
Hempfield High School