[SML] Qlab and video

Andy Lang andy at soundguyandy.com
Sat Oct 10 00:46:29 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 6:48 PM Steven Hood via Stagecraft
stagecraft at theatrical.net <http://mailto:stagecraft@theatrical.net> wrote:

Playing with qlab on our macbook (so far, just the free version). I'm
> looking to get the paid video version at some point soon-ish. For those of
> you using it, are you using the hdmi out of the computer, or are you using
> an external video card like Blackmagic or the like? I'm brainstorming.

Generally speaking, don’t use a Blackmagic output unless you absolutely
have to. Even if you need SDI output, you’ll get better performance using
HDMI out of the computer directly, and then using an outboard converter to
convert it to SDI.

The reason for this is that the Blackmagic devices aren’t actually graphics
cards, so the rendering is happening in the computer’s GPU in both cases.
If you’re using the onboard outputs, it leaves straight from the GPU. If
you’re using a Blackmagic output device, after it’s rendered, it’s going to
make another trip to RAM so that the computer can shove the data out the
Blackmagic.

Hope that helps!

-Andy

—