[SML] OT: Non-Standard Wiring Revisited

Stuart Wheaton sdwheaton at fuse.net
Mon Oct 12 22:16:33 UTC 2015

On 10/12/2015 6:59 AM, Bill Conner via Stagecraft wrote:
>     "Plugging a defective appliance into the gfci kills the lights.
>     That's not a hazard? Really?"
>

> Apparently the people that write The National Electric Code  don't think
> loosing the lights in a bathroom rises to a hazard level that justifies
> a code change, of which they make hundreds if not thousands every three
> years.  Since I rewired my house, I've never tripped the GFCI other than
> for periodic testing but the incandescent lamp has blown several times
> and left me in the dark. I've never felt at risk.  So, respectfully, I
> really don't think loosing the light in a bathroom is a serious hazard.

In most residential applications, there's a window in the bathroom to
admit light,  This is less common in a high rise hotel tower.   And
light sources do eventually fail, so the chance of having no light
always exists anyhow.  i guess the flashlight that lives on my belt at
all times makes me say "Meh" about the whole thing.

Stuart