[SML] Use of weapons in production

Dave Vick dave.vick at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 20:45:58 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 12:37 PM, Kim Hartshorn via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> We always use shop built wooden prop guns.  Slapping a hardwood slat to the
> stage floor makes a very effective gun sound, with all the overtones not
> possible with a recorded effect.  If you want more realism you can download
> and print a photograph/illustration/technical drawing and apply it to a
> plywood cutout, amazingly effective.

How's the overall design of the scene? On the WarHorse tour, we had
several genuine WWII-vintage Mauser and Enfield rifles miscast as WWI
arms (don't get me started), but we also had quite a number of
"silhouette" rifles; just the outline of a ".303 British" rudely cut
out of 3/4" plywood or 1-by SPF board and painted flat black... The
scene in which these "guns" were used was lit so, err, "dramatically"
that you couldn't tell that they were not actual rifles at all... It
got the point across just fine...

Just another idea...
--
Dave Vick