[SML] Dimming Cooling

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 19:11:43 UTC 2015

On 9/3/15 3:02 PM, e-mail frank.wood95 via Stagecraft wrote:

> It seems to me that the principle of lighting design, as I have
> learnt them, are making a retrograde step. The direction and quality
> of the light is, or was, all-important. Does it cast hard or soft
> shadows? LEDs are very versatile as colour sources, but I have no
> real evidence that I can achieve any sort of precision in where the
> light goes.

Frank, Frank, Frank....

You know the saying about "None so blind as those who will not see?"

Pretty much every major manufacturer has an LED profile fixture that is
functionally identical to an ellipsoidal reflector spotlight.  Don't
take my word for it, watch ETC's ColorSource Spot in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0JzgjCdSgc

LED technology is here to stay.  Young technicians and designers should
get used to it now, because LEDs will be the dominant technology during
their careers.  I just think it's not going to happen during my career.

Steve L.

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall