[SML] QLab 3 triggered by ETC Element

Andrew Vance atvanceld at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 17:04:01 UTC 2015

I know this is probably an easy question to those of you more familiar
with QLab than me, but I can't seem to get anything to work as I
understand it should.

I'm designing lights and projections for a show.  I'd like the
lightboard [ETC Element running the newest version of 2.3] to trigger
my video computer [Mac Pro running QLab 3 Pro Video].  I've turned on
MSC Transmit on the Element, and told QLab to listen for MSC.  I've
got a Motu USB MIDI box connected to the Mac Pro.  MIDI out from the
board to the MIDI in on the Motu box.

>From my understanding [and Google Fu], QLab should listen for an MSC
GO command and GO on the same numbered cue.  [IE, if LQ30 goes, QLab Q
30 should GO as well.]  QLab is patched with the proper inputs on the
Motu box [and recognizes it as well].

Problem is, QLab doesn't respond to the MSC from the Element.  Looking
at the Element Diagnostics, its sending MSC out.  We've matched the
Device ID numbers and all that jazz. Nothing.

We reversed it [had QLab send out MSC commands and swapped the
inputs/outputs on the MIDI], and QLab triggers the Element just fine.
While this is a workable solution, I'd rather have the Element trigger
QLab as there are way more lighting cues than video cues.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing?  Any QLab-fu that could help me
out? As I said, its not the end of the world on this show to have QLab
trigger the Element, but I've got a project coming up where we'll
definitely want the EOS to trigger QLab throughout the production.

Thanks in advance!

--
Sincerely,

Andrew Vance