[SML] Microphones for Board Meeting

E R Casey ercasey at espsound.com
Tue Sep 8 17:37:49 UTC 2015

As a previous response asked, is it being miced for recording only or will it be reenforced as well?  A live PA will mean that boundary mics are not an answer and as you've noted even for recording they are not a good choice when noise sources such as papers are nearer to them than the desired sound source.   We routinely do meetings with 50 mics and occasionally over 100 mics ( your tax dollars at work ) and the standard solution is to use Shure MX412 table mics and auto mixers.  Shure SCM810 auto mixers have been around for years and can be rented pretty cheaply. The Shure gooseneck mics may be harder to source but the larger national rental houses stock them.  Small , hotspot style wedge monitors on the floor inside the U will work for reinforcement while stand speakers can be used to cover surrounding audience and aimed away from the table mics.  Yamaha QL series mixers have auto mixers built into the software.  Even for recording, unless your operator can catch every mic user around the table the auto mixers pay of themselves very quickly.