[SML] media servers: was Re: Future of Luminaires

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 9 18:52:51 UTC 2015

It's NOT the lenses. While wide-angle lenses are tricky to design, the
real problem lies in the BP screen material.

To work with a wide-angle lens, you need a highly diffusing screen.
These have low transmissions, and therefore, dim images. So, you need
very bright light sources for the BP, and extremely careful lightng of
the stage in front of the BP.

I was doing this sort of thing back in the late 1960s, in a theatre
with a 180 degree audience wrap, Tyrone Guthrie style. Easy, its not!
2KW projectors were the best we could find (Strand Patt.252). We had
something of a fashion for this sort of thing, and actually bought in
a couple. Sold them a few years later when the fad died out.

There is no equivalent to the highly reflective front projection
screens used in cinema work for axial front projection. They are also
highly directional, which accounts for their effuciency.

On 9 September 2015 at 16:13, Stephen Litterst via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> On 9/8/15 6:33 PM, Chip Wood via Stagecraft wrote:
>>
>> Got it covered. http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/short-throw.asp
>>
>> Saw one like this at a museum.  It was on the FLOOR no more that 4' from
>> the 6'x8' screen up about 3' from the floor.  NO distortion!  Put it
>> behind a set piece- eazy peezy.  Make it front or rear projection.  Nice
>> and bright, but was in a darkened room. Ain't optics wonderful ?
>

> Panasonic has an ultra-short-throw lens with a .38 ratio.  Saw it demo'd and
> it blew me away.
>
> But Frank will tell us it can't be done.
>
> Steve L.
>
> --
> Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
> litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall
> 302/831-0601                University of Delaware

Frank Wood