[SML] condom alternatives

John Taylor jt at techie.com
Thu Sep 10 21:39:08 UTC 2015

I retired 2 years ago from our local Zoo where I designed and installed
several systems most of which went into aquatic or wet areas. I made
them very aware of what would happen down the road. I wanted to stay
with one style of units through out our Zoo. If a unit went down I would
replace the unit but that department had to pay for it. This made life
much easier when a unit did fail. When I started we had a couple of
small systems of mixed brands. I knew we would grow in using wireless
mics and picked a brand that I knew would hold up to some rough use yet
be easy to use in those times one of the AV staff  was not around.
We used Audio Technica through out. They worked well 98% of the time.
One of the wet areas was a Stingray/Shark open air exhibit which highly
salted water. Also the new Sea Lion exhibit we opened the year before I
retired was also salt water. While the Zoo was open year round most of
these only got used about 8 months a year. At the end of season we
pulled all units and cleaned them as the salt and chemicals in the air
also got to the insides. These keepers fed the animals while doing
show/presentations. So of course they have fish scales, and lots of
other pieces of various seafood on their hands. They have to turn the
mics on and off during the presentations. Most refused to use the
condoms we offered, or the plastic ziplock bags which was the easiest
way. We also used food service disposable gloves. A couple of the
keepers who did not like the bags or the gloves cleaned the units after
each use. Those who did this kept their units working longer. Since our
keepers worn the belt pack on their belt the food service gloves
actually pretty well, not as pretty as could be but looked better than
the condoms.

For the mics I would only allow them to use Special Projects H20 mics.
Check them out, they are awesome. They also make some waterproof belt
packs but I have never used them.
If I can help with anything else don't hesitate to email off line.

Good Luck,
John Taylor
Retired AV Manager