[SML] Tripping

Keith Newman keithbnewman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 15:49:50 UTC 2015

The high school I work for has moved while the old one is being renovated.
Fortunately, the auditorium space we moved into had a very good structure
and layout to it. Both the electrical and rigging systems needed a big
overhaul to get it ready for us. Special thanks go out to Vincent Lighting
Systems and Tiffin Scenic Studios for getting our electrical and rigging in
order.

Our temporary space has a short fly loft. We have an upcoming production of
Grease and I want to make sure we can work with a couple drops. I know the
overall concept of tripping a drop. What I am not sure of is if we were to
trip a drop, do we need a center or multiple center lift lines for the
bottom pipe.  We are looking at a drop and a scrim (both rentals) that are
40-45' long. How to add center lift lines without punching through the drop
would have to be done. Perhaps some sort of clamp or catch on the upstage
pipe could do the trick.

Keith Newman
Technical Director
Cleveland Heights High School