[SML] shooting start effect

David Bowman dmbowman at syr.edu
Fri Sep 18 13:13:06 UTC 2015

Joe,

That's a great question.... it was 4-5 (or more) years ago, but let me see if I can remember:

The high point was on our fly bridge, so I would say that it started at least 17-18 feet off the deck.  The bottom point was 2-3 feet off the floor (it might have been higher).  I do recall that we experimented a bit with the angle to get it right (and, to be fair, it was a co-pro with the GEVA theatre in Rochester so they did most of the R&D before it came to us - we just had to adjust for our space).

We used monofilament because even 1/16th BGAC was noisy (and the mono was smooth/slick). I want to say that it hung from a couple of binder clips (yeah, that low tech) or something similar...  I recall that the release was fairly simple too and there was a second monofilament line that ran with it to pull it back up to the rail at post show.

HTH,

dave B.

David M. Bowman
Master Electrician/Adj. Faculty