[SML] Giving Notice....

Stephen Rees Stephen.Rees at fredonia.edu
Mon Sep 21 21:24:13 UTC 2015

Speaking as a former (thank Dog) department chair, I can tell you that one
semester is greatly appreciated. I will also tell you that I am aware of at
least three situations where the full-time, tenure track employee left with
as little as eight days notice prior to the beginning of an academic year.
The department and program soldiered on and covered for the missing body
until an emergency search (and all that entails) could be conducted.  In
fact, I got my job in Fredonia as a result of exactly such a situation, so
make that four occurrences! There is not a thing in the world to stop you
from giving notice and pulling up stakes at short notice. You don't say
what your contract says regarding termination of employment, but it would
surely be worth a close read if there is possibility of litigation as a
result of your action.  Good luck with whichever choice you make.

Steve Rees

Stephen E. Rees
RAC Addition Project Shepherd
State University of New York at Fredonia
716.673.3208 Office
716.680.1565 Mobile