[SML] Ratings of household lighting fixtures

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Tue Sep 22 14:35:53 UTC 2015

This can be considered 'on-topic,' I believe.... does anyone know
(more or less definitively) how manufacturers come up with the
"ratings" for table lamps, desk lamps, pendant lights, etc... when
they say "Max. 60w" and such....?  Are these based on presumed heat
dissipation, or on any sort of amperage tolerance of the socket,
or....?

I was wondering about this, as we have several different choices
beyond incandescent lamps now... each with different power draws, heat
management systems, etc.... I wast thinking it would be nice to know
how these ratings came about, when determining if it's OK to put a
lamp with greater lumens than that A-style 60w bulb, but may only draw
13 watts or such....

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com