[SML] 3d modeller

Bruce Cooper bruce at ledworklights.com
Thu Apr 7 17:50:23 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 4:48:05 PM CDT, Ben Thoron SML via Stagecraft
wrote:
> I need the services of a good 3d modeller.  I have a sketch up model, a
> bunch of top, side etc views, but I'm struggling to get AutoCAD to do what
> I need.
> The image is a coiled ribbon, suspended over the stage, it tapers both in
> width and height as it travels up in a sloped coil.
> I have tried all usual tricks I know. Sweeping objects along 3d splines,
> but I think I may have hit the edge of what AutoCAD does well.
> So, is there a better program for modelling a 3d shape like this, and if so
> a competent operator to make a useful file for me?
>
> Thoughts?

Have you tried using old projection tricks - I.e. take and extrude each of
your Front, Side, and Top views, then subtract anything that doesn't
intersect.  If your views are accurate and placed accurately, you WILL get
the correct 3D representation with this method.

  Colors help.

  Or, try following the instructions at this link to convert the Sketchup
model

<
http://www.archidigm.com/Coverpage/cover2-12/lounge-set_sketchup_to_autocad.htm

:Bruce