[SML] Band Saws

Keith Newman keithbnewman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 05:56:46 UTC 2016

Sadly, three phase is not an option for us.  I might be able to get
something for cheap at a second hand equipment place in town and it is
worth investigating.  I do need to spec out something new however just for
budget purposes for next year.  I don't know what will be on the used
market at that point.  If I can find a deal, I'll snag it up as my budget
is embarrassingly low at this point..

The band saw will be used for scenic construction.  Lots of wood and
probably some foam products. I don't anticipate doing anything with metal
on it.  We had a wonderful Rockwell band saw (1940's era, I think) that got
scrapped/put into a shady contractor or movers garage after our high school
began its two-year reconstruction project.  I was extremely hands off on
the move because the school district decided to eliminate my position at
the end of last year just as the move was commencing.  After a petition
movement and students and staff speaking out about the necessity of my
position, I was recalled in Mid-August.  At that point the move was over
and we had lost not only the band saw but all of our paints, coatings,
flame retardants and cleaners, 16 hand-held AT 3000 Series microphones, 16
Wrap around headsets and transmitters for the AT 3000 Series, a Leprechaun
2-scene preset board we rarely used and we were never going to use again, 2
DeWalt 20v drills, 3 Dewalt 20v impact drivers, all of our casters and
pulleys (probably around $1000 worth), 1 gel file cabinet filled with many
full sheets, my desk, all of our Forstner and router bits, a reciprocating
saw, two Yamaha wedge monitors and a whole bunch more that I can't recall
off the top of my head.  With the exception of the microphones, just about
everything else on the list and more had to be replaced from my budget from
this year.  Ugghhh!!!