[SML] The more things change...

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Fri Apr 8 06:35:37 UTC 2016

>>The problem is not where specific individuals may have moral boundaries.
> It is
>>where those individuals try, and unfortunately often succeed, in forcing
> their
>>moral viewpoints onto everyone else.
>
> What you don't understand is that by making a choice, the school is FORCING
> its view, as an instrument of the state.  In essence decreeing that their
> choice is acceptable, even if it does make some people uncomfortable.

They made the choice to allow the play. No one is being forced to participate
in its production, or attend the performances.

Refusing to allow such plays WOULD be forcing the viewpoint of a very small
minority on the rest of the parents/students.

I prefer "freedom of choice", rather than "prohibition of choice".

>>> I suspect an important consideration for a school is that the more you
> allow
>>> in terms of morality at a public school theater, the more you erode
> support
>>> for theater and the more it is considered a"School for Scandalization"
>>
>>I have never been convinced that this is true, one way or the other. For
> one
>>thing, what would be "scandalous" to one person is probably perfectly
>>acceptable to many others.
>>
>>If a person has moral objections to the subject matter in a play, the
>>solution is simple - do not attend or participate. Just don't try to prohibit
>> others from making their own choices.
>>
>>Bill
>
> Of course it's true, just not visible.  Students (or their parents) will
> just opt not to participate.  There are too many good scripts available to
> require that the school put on something that will offend some, and limit
> participation.

So they don't participate - that is their loss.

I haven't seen a script yet, even for children's plays, that would not offend
some people in one way or another.

> That said, I haven't seen 'Pippin', so it is entirely possible that the
> people protesting are just hypersensitive.

No idea either. But to me, it is immaterial.

Bill