[SML] At least it wasn't a hanging that went wrong

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Fri Apr 8 14:52:15 UTC 2016

Bruce Cooper asked:

	What POSSIBLE reason can there be for not grinding the edge off, period?

I think they went wrong starting with a real straight razor, though John
Taylor's point about checking it nightly (as with any prop blade or
weapon) is spot on.  Because of the convex grind, by the time you¹ve
ground the edge down enough to be safely dull there isn¹t much razor left.
 For Sweeney Todd, or any show where the razor comes near a person, you
can¹t get away with that - you really need to build/buy/rent a prop razor.
 Aluminum is easily enough worked to make a fake (which we¹ve done here,
for a different show) if you want it to be metal.

- Jim Dougherty
ATD (and Props), Middlebury College Theatre Dept.