[SML] Band Saws

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Fri Apr 8 15:03:27 UTC 2016

Though the market is unpredictable, I¹ll second the recommendation to buy
an older used machine if possible - the quality-per-dollar is far higher.
If you can¹t, Laguna has/had a reputation for high end equipment though I
haven¹t touched that particular saw.  For scenic work, a deeper/taller
throat is definitely an advantage.  If you end up with an older Delta 14²,
they make a riser block addition to make the throat taller. You just use a
longer blade.

Three-phase power can be generated by running a three phase motor
backwards, using a single phase motor.  Fine Woodworking Magazine had a
good article on a shop-built version, also available in a Taunton Press
book _Fine Woodworking on Woodworking Machines_.  If you go that route, I
can send you the article.  The same semi-mythical shop that¹s liquidating
their three-phase bandsaw may have another piece of equipment with a spare
motor available.

Though it¹s exciting to see a shop full of good tooling being sold cheap,
I find it tragic when it¹s from a HS shop/tech program.  I know the
arguments for getting rid of them but I mourn the loss of opportunity for
the students.

- Jim Dougherty
ATD, Middlebury College