[SML] The more things change...

taco at peak.org taco at peak.org
Sat Apr 9 15:58:11 UTC 2016

If I had to sit through another production of Pippin, I think I might consider suicide.

So much is just a matter of perspective.... one teacher I have to work
with had said we could/should never do Pippin, because it encourages
suicide. A couple of colleagues and I had to scratch our heads for a
bit... what suicide? What is she talking about? A different show,
perhaps? Then we realized she was referring to the ending, where the
Leading Player encourages Pippin to "give the audience what they want"
- a big, splashy finish...... by jumping into the firebox. I never,
for even a second, thought of that as "suicide," nor did I stage it in
that sense - the show is about illusion, "magic" - and what others'
expectations may be, versus what our individual hearts want... I
cannot believe for a second any audience member walks away from the
show thinking, "Gee, that was great, and thought-provoking. I think I
shall go out in a ball of flame, as one of the characters suggested."

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com