[SML] College to High School

gbierly gbierly at dejazzd.com
Tue Apr 12 16:47:12 UTC 2016

On Apr 12, 2016, at 11:38 AM, nathan best via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Looking at possibly making the change from TD at a college theatre to TD at a high school theatre. In the very preliminary stages of decision making, but what are the major differences? Career-wise, is this a bad move? Anything of note I should know? I've always worked in college level theatre.

It is really going to depend on your schools, both the college and HS and their programs.  In my case I find the HS students much more immature that the college students but easier to work with their schedules since many of them don't drive or work and have fewer distractions.  In my case working at a HS my benefits are close to the same as the local state school and would be able to transfer retirement service.  They would provide tuition remission for myself and family members which would obviously be a big perk.  Feel free to hit me up off-list if there was anything specific you wanted to ask a HS TD (19 years in this position)

Greg Bierly
Hempfield High School