[SML] International travel with ATA CARNET and tools

Stuart Wheaton sdwheaton at fuse.net
Tue Apr 26 22:55:52 UTC 2016

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 9:41 AM, Michael Sauder via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>> Question for the folks who work internationally: Do you file an ATA CARNET
>> for your personal hand tools?
>>
>> I have one Pelican case that has basic tools of my trade (multimeter,
>> labeler, a bag of screwdrivers/wire strippers/etc, portable soldering iron,
>> 12V drill, etc). Stuff I use frequently and don't want to waste time
>> sourcing locally or constantly borrowing.
>>
>> I've traveled in and out of Brazil twice and no one batted an eye at the
>> Pelican case. However on Sunday I'm flying to Thailand, and I'm being told I
>> need to file an ATA CARNET. The total cost to get same day ATA CARNET
>> service is upwards of $400. At that point I might as well just par down my
>> essentials even further and buy the rest locally.
>>
>> So I'm curious if others have had any issues flying with tools?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Michael

I travel extensively with my Pelican case full of tools, and I have
never been hassled for a carnet.

I have not been to Thailand, so I had nothing useful to add to the
original question, but I have been to and through, China, UAE, Japan,
Singapore, Korea, Canada, England, most of the coastal nations of
Europe, Israel,  Chile, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Bermuda and Most
of the Nations of the Caribbean through my career.  The entry and exit
is almost always painless, sometimes I will be asked what I have and why
I have them, Security seems most interested in batteries.

The one exception to the general rule has been The Bahamas.  They seem
to enjoy giving people who visit to work a difficult time.  Fun Story, I
went there for a service call during a drydock, I got held up at customs
because I had tools, ( just a small pelican, simple pack of wrenches,
VOM, maybe a cordless drill)  they kept my box and told me I had to pay
a duty to get it back.  I took the receipt to the ship and told them,
"if you want me to work, get my stuff back"  and very soon it arrived.
( I don't know if they paid or pointed out that the Drydock was
generating millions in revenues and wages and hassling their people was
a dumb move).  But the funny part is that the scenic artist who was the
other half of my team, waltzed right through with a suitcase full of
paintbrushes, airbrushes etc...  I guess those don't count as tools.

Stuart