[SML] God Of Carnage Vomit

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 20:23:43 UTC 2016

Dear Jim,
As Olivier told Hoffman, "All you have to do is ACT". The audience WILL
suspend their disbelief of not seeing the vomit, if the acting performance
is sufficiently convincing. A talented magician can make you 'see' what you
didn't see. I know that it is not our job to teach acting, but we CAN help
to make a performance more convincing, without tainting the return air to
the auditorium with a vomit smell or changing 'blood' packets placed in the
mouth into 'vomit' packets.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 12:01 PM, Dougherty, Jim via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> For a recent production, we made a rig that the actor wore under a hoodie.
> On a motocross back protector we mounted a pipe-based air tank, solenoid
> valve and batteries for the valve. A microswitch went to the actor's front
> pocket. A tube filled with fake vomit (water and cornstarch, plugged with
> closed cell foam ball) went down her sleeve to her wrist. She put her hand
> in her pocket over her stomach, aimed the other hand by her mouth then
> triggered the valve.
>
> Same rig with different pressure and tube contents/routing put her
> "brains" onto the wall behind her when her head "exploded" later in the
> play.
>
> Her character had a really bad day.
>
> -  Jim
>
> > On Aug 24, 2016, at 1:47 PM, "stagecraft-request at theatrical.net" <