[SML] Theatre Quote

Kate Stack k8stack at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 19:43:47 UTC 2016

LIn Manuel Miranda had a great keynote that has a lot of great quotes. I'm
partial to:

"We create our own reality so much these days. You curate your Twitter
feed. You unfriend your friend who has the racist or unpopular opinion off
your Facebook page. We see the reality that we choose to see, and we have
more power to do that than ever before. Theatre is one of the last things
that eliminates that. Dick Cheney and Hillary Clinton will go see the same
show with 299 other people, and they are going to have the same experience.
And they are going to have to reckon with that experience."

http://www.denvercenter.org/blog-posts/news-center/2015/05/20/lin-manuel-miranda-on-the-power-of-theatre-to-eliminate-distance

Depending on your audience, I also love Neil Gaiman's brilliant keynote.
It's definitely aimed more at general artsy folk than just theatre people,
but it has some great quotes. My favorite, which I reference on at least a
weekly basis:

"People keep working, in a freelance world, and more and more of today's
world is freelance, because their work is good, and because they are easy
to get along with, and because they deliver the work on time. And you don't
even need all three. Two out of three is fine. People will tolerate how
unpleasant you are if your work is good and you deliver it on time. They'll
forgive the lateness of the work if it's good, and if they like you. And
you don't have to be as good as the others if you're on time and it's
always a pleasure to hear from you."

http://www.uarts.edu/neil-gaiman-keynote-address-2012

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 3:23 PM, Keith Arsenault via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> “I want to give the audience a hint of a scene. No more than that.
> Give them too much and they won't contribute anything themselves.
> Give them just a suggestion and you get them working with you.
> That's what gives the theater meaning: when it becomes a social act.”
> ― Orson Welles
>

> > On Aug 29, 2016, at 2:37 PM, Stephen Litterst via Stagecraft <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> >
> > On 8/29/16 1:45 PM, Miller, Daniel via Stagecraft wrote:
> >> I have been asked to speak about the importance of theatre in today’s
> >> world and wanted to use a quote from a well-known theatre personality….
> >> Unfortunately, I am having a great deal of difficulty finding such a
> >> quote or interview. Does anyone have any suggestions?
> >

> > Theatre is immediate, it's alive, you're there with the audience, it
> can't be done again and again and again and again, it's organic. Kim
> Cattrall
> >
> > Great theatre is about challenging how we think and encouraging us to
> fantasize about a world we aspire to. Willem Dafoe
> >
> > “I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most
> immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of
> what it is to be a human being.”
> > ―Oscar Wilde
> >
> > By whatever means it is accomplished, the prime business of a play is to
> arouse the passions of its audience so that by the route of passion may be
> opened up new relationships between a man and men, and between men and Man.
> Drama is akin to the other inventions of man in that it ought to help us to
> know more, and not merely to spend our feelings.
> > Arthur Miller
> >
> > The stage is not merely the meeting place of all the arts, but is also
> the return of art to life.
> > Oscar Wilde
> >

> > --
> > Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
> > litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall
> > 302/831-0601                University of Delaware

Kate Stack

Props Master

716.566.0795