[SML] Blue lighting

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Wed Aug 31 21:21:15 UTC 2016

A couple of things...

Many if not most "white" LEDs are now made like florescent tubes.  The
plastic jacket contains a phosphor that is illuminated by a UV LED die.
Some of that blue probably leaks out of all but the very best ones.

NASA has found that the LED lighting in the space station can change
sleep patterns for the worse, color selection of LEDs (not just CRI) for
constant exposure turns out to be way more important than people thought.

I would imagine in the future someone will come up with a disorder or
injury that can be tracked to living/working under too much blue light.
This isn't actually new, actinic lighting was used long ago before
modern florescents were invented.  It didn't work well then, either.

--
Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.
www.interstellar.com