[SML] Oakland warehouse fire

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 17:38:27 UTC 2016

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Kristi R-C via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> I've added showing parts of the Station Nightclub fire video and giving the
> basic "don't block the 3'/4' wide egress at any time, one door for every 50
> people, red exit signs must lead you to an exit out of the building, and
> learn how to use a fire extinguisher, it's fun!" to my basic stagecraft
> classes.

I'm not sure where the "one door for every 50 people" comes from but
most building codes require 0.2" per occupant which is about 170 for a
36" door (34" clear accounting for stops and door thickness).  That is
slightly simplified in that there are exceptions that permit less in
some circumstances.  At least two means of egress if over 50
occupants, 3 if over 500, and 4 if over 1000.  In  most jurisdictions
other colors than red illuminated exit signs are permitted.  Normal
and emergency illumination  of the means of egress (0.2 fc in a
theatre and 1.0 once you are out of the auditorium and/or stage).  I
was struck by one survivor's description of the Oakland fire and the
inability to see anything when the lights went out.
--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC