[SML] LED Fresnels

Nancy Christian Nancy.Christian at vvc.edu
Thu Dec 8 22:22:21 UTC 2016

Is anyone using the Chauvet Ovation F-165WW? How does it compare to a traditional 750W-1000W TH Fresnel?

Is the field smooth unlike certain ETC products?

How is color rendering with gels working out?

The reason I'm asking is I'm looking for a replacement solution for my Berkey Colortran 6" 213-205 fresnels. Besides being hot and the now considered low output(750W), the mpf replacement sockets are expensive and the current run of BTN lamps don't sit in the old socket as well so arcing tends to happen easier. Alternative mpf sockets have the mounting holes in a different place that misaligns the lamp.

I want that same smooth beam when I'm flooding the fixture.  The ETC products I've tried (PARnel, fresnel) just don't work.

On our ETC fixtures, we use 77V lamps and the ETC dimmer doubler to get more circuits so an LED solution would be nice since ETC can't make a nice fresnel.

I'm also looking at the new COLORado Solo units as a possibility. Thoughts?

And as an aside, has anyone ever re-worked a standard Fresnel to take an HPL lamp?

Thanks for your help and thoughts,

Nancy Christian
Technical Director
Performing Arts Center
Victor Valley College
(760) 245-4271 ext. 2513

[Seal of VVC]

Nancy Christian,
TD, Performing Arts Center | Performing Arts Center
Victor Valley College
18422 Bear Valley Road
Victorville, CA 92395
Office: 10