[SML] Hairspray "Hairspray "

Michael Powers mptecdir at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 17:01:45 UTC 2016

My wife asked me an interesting question that I thought would find an answer here on SML.
What was the actual substance in the hair spray aerosol cans??  We know of course it wasn't real hair spray for a myriad of reasons including health, safety and common sense. The copious amounts sprayed directly in and around the performers faces, make it obvious the propellant was compressed air or perhaps N2.  My wife's question though was about the spray itself.  It didn't seem to leave a "wet" look like water on either faces or hair.  No obvious runny makeup from direct closeup spray, no sticky eyelashes after closeup spray.  So....... Just what was it?  Anyone have connections with props or makeup people on the show??

Michael Powers
USMC '65-'69
ETCP Rigger #820 (Ret'd)