[SML] Homeless German scenic artists?

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Mon Dec 19 15:21:47 UTC 2016

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 12:44 AM, Jeff Forbes via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> and “bankrupt German scene painters.”
>
> Are they referring to theatrical scene painters or maybe landscape painters? One could read it either way I think. Were there a lot of German scenic artists in SF in the 1800s?

I'd be interested in more info, as well....  I do know there were a
lot of German scenic painters in NYC in the 1800s.... don't remember
the source, but I cover this with my students when we're discussing
the differences/preferences between muslin-covered Broadway flats
versus hard-covered Hollywood flats....  so it's certainly not out of
the realm of possibility that those scenic painters would have moved
west to follow whatever work they could.

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com