[SML] Flying Effects / Aerial Dance, Liability, and "Certification"

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 16:51:49 UTC 2016

On 2/1/16 11:42 AM, Damon Gelb via Stagecraft wrote:

> At issue now is that some of the faculty and department chair are
> wondering why we - meaning myself as TD and and my assistant - cannot
> get "certified" to do the work ourselves rather than continue to pay
> to have the work professionally designed and installed.  My response
> is that there are professionals and companies who deal with these
> types of specific flying effects for good reason.  Yet the grumbling
> continues...So here is what I am wondering.  How have you, as a TD or
> rigger at a venue dealt with this when asked?  Am I being to strict in
> drawing the line by saying I won't do a simple raise / lower system
> for theatre piece?  Would any professionals on the list be willing to
> share statements or documentation to support my claim that flying -
> ANY flying - must and should be handled by a professional flying
> company?'

I'd suggest having a chat with your campus risk-management office. I'd
be willing to bet the cost of bringing in a professional flying expert
is much less than expanding your institution's insurance coverage to
cover doing it in-house. Find out those numbers and take that to your
department chair.

Steve L.

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall