[SML] Flying Effects / Aerial Dance, Liability,

Jonathan Deull jdeull at clarktransfer.com
Tue Feb 2 13:03:16 UTC 2016

As someone deeply involved with this issue and the questions it raises on
a regular basis (and who was mentioned in the original post), I was going
to write a thoughtful response. Thankfully, Duncan beat me to it, and Bill
put the cherry on top with his reference to the soon-to-be standards. I
teach this stuff, and I believe that, over time, as ³performer flying²
becomes increasingly mainstream, the skills to do it safely and properly
will also become more mainstream. (And recognized as such, hopefully as
part of some program of certification or other.) Having said that, for all
the reasons cited by others, it is still very much a specialized
discipline. And rightly so.

Jonathan

Jonathan Deull
jdeull at clarktransfer.com
ETCP Certified Rigger, Theatre
ETCP Recognized Trainer
Safety Consultant, American Circus Educators Association
Member, IATSE Local 329
Proud member of the Long Reach Long Riders
and a bunch of other stuff