[SML] Featherweight techs & fall arrest w/ shock absorbing lanyards?

Stephen Lee mouse at fieldmousepro.com
Wed Feb 3 21:09:36 UTC 2016

Something I've wondered about:
Do the various shock-absorbing mechanisms in fall-arrest systems function
reasonably well for people who are fairly lightweight? I'm thinking about
the typical lanyard that decelerates a fall through the controlled breaking
of thread in sewn-together bunches or packs.

I'm a small-framed guy, weighting about 110 lbs in normal work attire.
Would a shock-absorbing lanyard even start to activate after a fall? I
figure those devices are designed for the typical male construction worker
who weighs at least twice as much. I'm curious what standard criteria &
weights are used for testing those devices.

Also, are there better deceleration devices for lighter weight folks?

Stephen Lee

Today's location:
Nashville, TN