[SML] stage gunfire noise levels

Mikkel Mynster M.Mynster at mtc.com.au
Thu Feb 4 00:07:24 UTC 2016

Jerry Durand <jdurand at interstellar.com> wrote:
> Generally I'd think just the primers would be loud enough indoors.
> Extra sound effects could be added if needed but surely don't want to
> deafen people.
>
> Note that even just a primer can cause serious injury.

Hi Jerry. We use a theatrical armourer who supplies us with short cases with either a 2+2 (2 grains black powder and 2 grains of smokeless powder) load, or a 3+3 load if we want a really loud bang. He uses pistols with plugged and side vented barrels. Gun safety is a related issue, but not what I'm looking at here.

Dale Farmer <dale at cybercom.net> wrote:
> A quick google query turned up many hits on hazardous noise exposure
> from blank pistols and real pistols.  I see you are from AU, so take a
> look for the workplace safety law there, they may have already got one
> in place that you can reference.

Thanks Dale. I did the same quick google search (and a few longer ones...). I'm also reasonably well-versed in the Australian workplace safety laws and regulations. What I'm trying to do is put together something a little more practical - something that we can use in day-to-day management of noise - particularly gunshots. I know for example that I am not allowed to exceed 140dB with unprotected ears. I suspect that I want the SPL to be a fair bit lower than that to give a reasonable safety margin for two-show days, more than one gunshot per show, etc. I'm not confident that a hand-held dB meter is capable of accurately measuring the sound - am I worrying needlessly?

I'm intending to gather some experimental data using the ammunition supplied and various weapons, but thought I'd check with the collective wisdom to see whether anyone had already made the mistakes I'm about to, and would let me learn from them!

Cheers
Mikkel