[SML] Featherweight techs & fall arrest w/ shock absorbing lanyards? (Stephen Lee)

Roger Bardwell rbardwell at hudsonscenic.com
Thu Feb 4 20:50:48 UTC 2016

Stephen,

It is a cause of concern. Most product test standards for fall arrest apply only to workers who weight 130 lbs or more. The shock absorbers are designed to limit the maximium arresting force to 1800 lbs. That might be too great for a lighter person. Some researchers that injury risk might be proportional to G-Froces rather than to a specific force. You would experience a greater G-force than a heavier worker.

I have heard of special systems being designed for smaller people. e.g. There is a ride at Animal Kingdom where the public is on a suspended walkway, in fall arrest. There the ride is open to younger patrons. I think this is a propriatry system and am not sure if there are harnesses or shock absorbers for lighter users.

> Something I've wondered about:
> Do the various shock-absorbing mechanisms in fall-arrest systems function reasonably well for people who are fairly lightweight? I'm thinking about the typical lanyard  > that decelerates a fall through the controlled breaking of thread in sewn-together bunches or packs.

> Also, are there better deceleration devices for lighter weight folks?

Roger Bardwell, P.E.
Foreman / Chief Engineer
Hudson Scenic Studio