[SML] tinkerbell lighting effect

Steven Mclean stevenjmclean at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 14:24:27 UTC 2016

So,

more years ago than I care to remember I was tasked with creating a
physical tinker-bell for Penn State's summer production of Peter Pan.
As Props Artisan I cast a hollow 2-part acrylic ball (about the size
of a Ping-Pong ball or smaller) that I drilled with tiny holes and
inserted short lengths of fiber optic filament into.  The halves were
glued around a tiny lamp; I think that it was soldered directly to a
very thin 2-conductor wire (something like 20 gauge with very thin
insulation)

This wire led to a home-brew telescoping fishing-pole device operated
from the walkable 1st electric lighting bridge position (the back of
the position also served as the top of the proscenium AIR.  The wire
ultimately connected to a power feed supplied by sound and all-around
electrical/electronics guru Del Boarts (now deceased).  I don't know
the particulars, but the current was modulated by the sound of the
celeste in the orchestra so that the lamp pulsed as the celeste was
played with the intensity of the celeste creating an instantaneous
pulse of brighter light.  The effect reinforced the impression that
Tink (the ball of light) was speaking.  I think there was also some
kind of interrupt (perhaps controlled by the light board) that turned
her on and off for blackouts, when she was off-stage and when she was
getting into and out of position.

The operator had a good reach around the middle of the stage and Tink
could fly anywhere in that range with practice (including into a doll
house and into her jar AIR).  I had to build 2 on the chance that the
lamp would burn out.

Pretty cheesy, but AIR also amazingly effective. I do remember it
being a little more physical and less ethereal than to my liking, and
the fiber optics less effective than hoped at conducting the light to
the tips.  I suppose with LED technology something similar might be
smaller and more effective.

Steven J McLean
steve.mclean at simpson.edu
designandtechtheatre.wordpress.com