[SML] Annual USITT SML get together

Lou Poppler loupoppler at cableone.net
Mon Feb 8 18:09:29 UTC 2016

----- Richard John Archer via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> I thought about Amtrak because I'm on leave this semester and have the time ....
> but ......over 2 days and costs only about $20 less than the plane.  no thanks
> (California Zephyr  upper deck nice though)

I rode the Zephyr from Chicago to Reno (and back) and it was indeed nice to be able
to move around to the observation car, or the bar, or the dining car ... as opposed
to the ever more claustrophobic conditions in the airlines.  Also very nice to see
all the very  pretty country usually regarded as "flyover".  And, don't forget that
your "$20 less" doesn't include the airlines' bag-check fee, and carry-on fee, and
sometimes higher cost for taxi/shuttle to the airport instead of the usually
downtown train station.  But you're right, it did take a long time.....