[SML] Annual USITT SML get together

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 02:01:15 UTC 2016

There is no longer Rail service between Los Angeles and Las Vegas, though
there used to be. They closed the Las Vegas station which sits at the end
of Fremont Street (Fremont Experience) where it ends at Main Street. you
have to take the Amtrak connecting bus to get to Bakersfield to alight the
San Joaquin train to take me to Sacramento. Its more enjoyable to take the
Surfliner which travels along the beach from San Diego to San Luis Obispo.
Unlike most states, CalTrans (State of California, Department of
Transportation) owns the locomotives and rolling stock, so we will still
have some train service in CA if Amtrak (with its 40% subsidy) is defunded
by Congress.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Richard John Archer via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Rail Passenger service in Ithaca was discontinued in 1961.  One train
> station first  became a restaurant and is now a bank.  The other is  a bus
> station.
> We have to drive about an hour and a half to get to Syracuse and Amtrak.
>  Syracuse's station is no longer downtown....It's first station, built in
> 1839, opened in Vanderbilt square right along the tracks of what would
> become the NY Central RR as well as the downtown center of Syracuse.  Until
> the 1930s Syracuse tracks ran at grade, down the center of the downtown
> streets.
>

> DickA
> TD, Cornell U
>
> > Unless like we in PHX have to do- ride a bus 45 mi to a distant small
> town to catch the train.  The lovely downtown station is a home for pigeons
> and homeless, but not trains.  But our airport is right downtown.
> >
> > Chip 1
> >  higher cost for taxi/shuttle to the airport instead of the usually
> downtown train station.

/s/ Richard
_________