[SML] Sonny Sonnenfeld

Bill Sapsis bill at sapsis-rigging.com
Wed Feb 10 18:15:44 UTC 2016

The indomitable and legendary Sonny Sonnenfeld passed away this morning, in his sleep, in the apartment he shared with Jennifer Tipton.  For a little guy he was huge.  His influence in the lighting industry is incalculable.  He offered his insights, and there were many, into the industry at the Broadway Lighting Master Classes, Super Saturday and NATEAC, to name just a few.

I got to know him in 2012 when I invited him to speak…no.  wait.  That’s not accurate.  It was when he invited himself to speak at NATEAC 2012.  I didn’t argue, of course and he was wonderful on the dais, a cup of Benedictine in his hand.   He had planned to reprise that role at NATEAC this coming summer but, sadly, that won’t happen.

We lost one of the great ones today and, regretfully,  I doubt we’ll see someone like him again.   My thoughts are with Jennifer and the Sonnenfeld family.  There’s no funeral planned but there will be a memorial service in the coming months.  I’ll keep you posted.

Bill S

bill at sapsis-rigging.com
http://www.sapsis-rigging.com
+1.267.278.4561   mobile