[SML] LED CYC LIGHTS

Richard John Archer rja10 at cornell.edu
Mon Feb 29 22:06:59 UTC 2016

I need some group wisdom about LED cyc lights.

We have a grant possibility but submission deadline is this Thursday (isn't it always the way?)   We have a full size proscenium stage, 30' H x 54'W Gerriets Opera Cyc.  Border trim is usually in the 25' to 28' range.  We sometimes light from the front, more often  from the rear with a bounce upstage and a scrim downstage of the cyc.

Who has used what and how did it work?   What type  spacing did you use both distance from the cyc ( US/DS) and horizontal spacing of the units (parallel to the proscenium)?  This would be really helpful to determine the number of units we would need.

Obviously we'd like the most light for the least cost. Like to keep the distance eaten up by the dead space between the lights and the cyc to the minimum. If we could light the whole cyc height from just  below or above that would be great too.  (Until we want a sunset).  Power not an issue.  Presently we have standard incandescent.  1988 built theatre. Original Strand CD-80 dimmers.

Dont need complete details for our submission but ballparks would be good.

Yes I've read the manufacturers web pages, yes I went to LDI  to look at the toys,  but still would like some "real" user information.

Thanks. Contact on or off list is fine.

DickA
TD, Cornell U