[SML] Kabuki Drop Systems

Stuart Wheaton sdwheaton at fuse.net
Mon Jan 4 14:16:15 UTC 2016

On 1/3/2016 8:50 PM, David Tolin via Stagecraft wrote:
> I know that many of you on this list would be interested in
> fabricating your own kabuki drop system, but I am looking for any
> advice from anyone out there that has used any turnkey kabuki systems.
> I have looked at Gerriets, ElectroKabuki, and Rosebrand's system. I
> would like to do a double drop for an upcoming show and need at least
> 12 units that can be fired in two sequences.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

  I have worked with the Gerriets system.  it is very nice and very easy
to set up and operate.  it does have one undocumented "feature"that you
need to be aware of.  There is a time delay relay in the firing circuit
that latches the firing pulse for about 10 seconds after the cue fires.
I suspect it ensures that the units all drop, however if you have a
quick succession of cues, or the operator puts the next cue on standby
right after firing the first, you can get an immediate follow.  this
relay is adjustable, but is not in the manuals the last time I used one.

Stuart

River City Scenic
Cincinnati Ohio.