[SML] Read the sign

taco at peak.org taco at peak.org
Mon Jan 11 15:41:50 UTC 2016

We have a locally famous railroad trestle downtown, at 11'4". And that's with the road 'lowered' under it. Someone hits it every few years, in spite of numerous warning devices, and obvious scarring on the bridge. I know a guy who hit it with a rental truck. It simply never occurred to him to think about the height of the truck.

some people just don't (can't?) read:

Sewer main directly underneath so they can't lower the road

Norfolk Southern Railroad owns the train trestle, and their concern is primarily with keeping the trains running and keeping them running safely. So their concern is mainly with reducing the impact of the truck crashes on the actual structure of the train trestle. As far as they are concerned, they solved that problem by installing the crash beam.

The city of Durham has installed "low clearance" signs on each of the 3 blocks leading up to the trestle (Gregson is a one-way road). There is a "overheight when flashing" sign with flashing lights that are triggered by vehicles that are too tall. Several blocks ahead of the trestle the speed limit is 25 MPH. The folks from the city planning department said that they made an effort to prevent accidents.

The North Carolina Dept. of Transportation maintains the road, but not the signage. I suspect they have much bigger problems to deal with statewide than this bridge.

DickA
TD, Cornell U