[SML] Black lights

taco at peak.org taco at peak.org
Fri Jan 15 16:50:40 UTC 2016

I, too, have had decent success with the 4' tubes on a small stage. The transition back to full stage-light had to be gentle, and the dancers had to strictly observe the cut-off lines where the light stopped abruptly.

Put some white gloves and fluorescent paint in front of one of your stage blacks, and experiment with some of your darkest blue/purple gels. That's going to be the cheesiest fake effect you can do. Call your nearby rental place, tell him the square footage you want to cover and the length of your run. That'll determine the most you need to spend for a great effect. Then decide where your needs and budget fit along that spectrum.

>>The fluorescent tubes are still the best bang for your buck. We put 4x 4' along the lip of our 34' wide stage and they do a great job.
Jason
>>>On Jan 15, 2016 10:40 AM, "Glenn Hoit via Stagecraft" < stagecraft at theatrical.net > wrote:

Hi,

My director just asked if we could do a dance number in our musical under black lights. My experience with black lights is very limited (goes back to the time when they were put in fluorescent light fixtures).

Is there a way to create the black light effect with par cans or fresnels?

Thanks for the help,

Glenn Hoit
Air Academy High School
USAF Academy, CO