[SML] Black lights

Nielsen, Tim tdn at episcopalhighschool.org
Fri Jan 15 19:07:53 UTC 2016

There's a variety of fixtures out there that might work for you.

A lot of LED par can types have UV emitters in them-  they'll be listed as
RGB+UV or similar.

Altman makes a few fresnel type fixtures with 400 watt flourescent UV lamps
inside.  Sadly discontinued is the Elation UV-Wash which I bought several
on Ebay and is a pretty good fixture.

We had a blacklight effect in our musical last year.  We used a mixture of
different fixtures, including a lot of cheap, haunted house flourescent
tube type fixtures tucked away in lots of corners of the set to get close
to the actors.

Any kind of ambient lighting will make the effect very hard to achieve, as
it's very easy to wash out the UV lights.  And when anyone asks how many
lights you'll need, the answer is, "We could probably use more"

I'd look at renting some LED UV fixtures-  I think you'll get the most bang
for your buck that way.  Try out a couple of different brands-  some are
really just a deep blue purple and not a true UV emitter.  Wildfire, Inc.
has some good information on UV effects in general and I can highly
recommend reading through some of their literature.

-Tim

--
Timothy Nielsen
Episcopal High School