[SML] advice for LED Ellipsoidals?

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Fri Jan 15 19:19:21 UTC 2016

I have approval to spend money on some LED fixtures, and I think that I'll get the most bang for buck with some LED lekos.

I've seen the ETC Coloursourse and Lustr Series 2 for a couple of hours.  Colours are good, they are quiet, image is good for gobos, shutters, iris.
*They are both bright enough where I intend to add them to my rig (replacing colour Par64, not front FOH white lighting).
*They match my existing inventory of barrels, gobos, etc.
*The bottom of the dimming curve is excellent.  Nice soft incandescent fade out.
*Coloursource is very simple (just 1 profile), and appears good for colours.
*Lustr2 has more options, more control variables to get staff (including me) messed up, assuming better colours. Also much more expensive.
		For 2 Lustrs I can get 3 Coloursource units.

Anybody have good or bad comments about either?  Something specific you love, or want to warn other people of?

Another supplier has Alman phoenix, Phillips/Strand/Selecon PL units, and an Elation unit.  I hope to see these soon.

How do these compare the ETC units?
Are they close in capabilities, options, noise, colour rendering?

(running an Ion console in both venues).

Thanks.
And good to be back.  Signed off for the summer, and just coming back now (when I need something, I know).  I appreciate the help.

Andrew M. Riter
Assistant Technical Director / Head Lighting Technician

Chan Centre for the Performing Arts
6265 Crescent Road
Vancouver, BC
V6T 1Z1