[SML] Really cheap makeup

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 15 16:25:18 UTC 2016

I never saw this message appear when the list restarted, so here it is again;

Periodically I seem to get into the mood to invent or do research into alternative approaches to things. Right now I am investigating the options for very budget minded theater groups in regards to makeup.

For character makeup, I am struggling to find significantly cheaper alternatives to brands like Ben Nye.  Of course, I do understand that the professional stuff is better in many ways, but the cost can be a significant issue.
Normal street cake makeup, as found in a $1 store, are probably sufficient for a straight makeup. I tried some cheap Halloween makeup, but there was so little pigment, that it was a complete waste of time.

There certainly is no shortage of makeup in dollar stores. The eyeliner stuff is all fine. But, for character makeups, most doesn't seem very useful for theatrical applications. I tried using an eyeshadow kit with some darker browns and white to do general highlighting and shadows. But, nearly all eyeshadow has glitter or something shiny in it.

There is no doubt that a cream makeup is preferable to do character work. I did look again the other day at a $1 store, and came across a concealer, which was a cream with good coverage. But, there were only two color choices that looked nearly the same, with one being a little pinker.

In regards to hair, with so many young, pre-graying, individuals that need to look older, doing something to gray their hair is another issue.  I experimented a little with applying hair spray and then talcum powder while the hairspray was still wet, but it really didn't work.

So, specifically, I am hunting for cream makeup with a range of colors at a low cost. And also looking for ideas on home-made hair whitener.

-Joe